Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

It's snowing outside and I LOVE it. Yes, I am truly Canadian. But let me explain why I love the snow. Or, to be more precise, why I love the snow falling.

When the snow falls outside, I feel cozy inside. I crave hot chocolate and a good book. I feel giddy and young. I go back to my childhood days when we would pray for a snow day every single winter day, and run around the house ecstatic when our prayers would be answered. We would stay in our pajamas and watch cartoons all day long. Even now, those same smiles come to my face when I see it snow outside.

Being a PhD student however, I cannot curl up with a good book but rather have to negotiate with my laptop - or at least with the documents stored in my laptop. Yet, the snow outside encourages me to do the work needed to be done. After all, the snow tells me it is winter and I am supposed to be in school. It tells me to stay inside and fulfill my duties as a student. Had there been sun and green grass, like the devil, it would tempt me away from that which I have to do. The snow, like the angel, tells me to be a good student.

Another reason I love the snow. I live in a condo here and do not need to shovel snow like I do at my parents home. My car is also with my family. No snow-clearing workout every morning. That may be why my views of snow have become so much more positive since I moved away from home.

4 comments:

Fatemeh said...

That is such a beautiful picture!

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting all week for some, but there's been no snow at all here in North York (Toronto!) ... I am jealous! ... There's nothing like mochaccino and chai whilst watching snowfall ...

Farheen said...

Thanks for posting pedestrian. The winter just isn't winter without snow. Toronto doesn't usually get a whole of snow anyways does it. Where I am right now we don't either but where I'm from we gets lots. I don't necessarily miss cleaning the car and then waiting for it to warm up. Nor do I miss driving on snow/ice covered roads. But I do miss the coziness of being inside while it's snowing outside.

I think I'll make some chai now :)

Anonymous said...

Snow is very serene and beautiful. I feel the same way about rain too.